This savoury take on shortbread offers a brief respite from the sugar-laden sweets that we see so much of over the holiday season. For an extra special gift, pair them with a mason jar filled with your favourite homemade soup.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ Tsp. chili powder
1. Combine the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the mixture forms a ball and rides the blade.
2. Remove it from the processor and shape it into a log that is approximately 8” long and 1-2” in diameter. Wrap the log tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of two hours.
3. To serve, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the shortbread into 1/4” thick slices and bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden.
4. To package for a gift, cover the plastic-wrapped dough with parchment, tie the ends with ribbon and add a label with the cooking instructions.