This festive loaf is not only a lovely gift to bestow upon your favourite family members, but when it’s baked in an aluminum loaf pan the container becomes part of the gift packaging saving you time and money on holiday wrapping. Keep a loaf or two on hand for yourself and use it in your favourite French toast recipe for a seasonal breakfast the whole family will enjoy.
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup puréed bananas (about 3)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat one standard (or two small) loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the bananas, sugar, oil, yogurt, egg, egg white and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the dried cranberries and chocolate chips.
4. Pour the batter in the greased baking pan(s) and bake for 45 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before packaging.
Written by: Jan Scott