This sweet recipe can actually yield two separate gifts by making use of the fudge scraps once the mittens have been cut out of the chocolate. Take the remaining pieces and shape them into one-inch balls, then roll them through cocoa or coconut to make miniature chocolate truffles. They package nicely for a homemade gift or are a delicious addition to your holiday baking list.
- 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
To decorate: white decorator icing, assorted candies or sprinkles, powdered sugar
1. Combine the chocolate, milk and peppermint extract in a microwave-safe bowl.
2. Microwave on medium-high for 30 seconds intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is melted, about 3 minutes. Remove from the microwave and stir well.
3. Line a 9” x 13” baking sheet with plastic wrap. Pour the chocolate mixture onto the pan and spread it evenly, smoothing the top as you go. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for two hours or until firm.
4. Remove the fudge and cut out mitten shapes using a cookie cutter. Decorate the mittens using the icing and candies.